Friday, July 27, 2012

Almigal's First Blog


Almigal’s First Blog


Hi there, it's me...Almigal...and this is my very first blog.  (I am so excited!)
 
I want to ask you something...Do you know any kids that wear glasses?  How about hearing aids or coke-lee-ur implants? They are sort of like the same cause they are all helpers. Glasses help you to see and implants and hearing aids help you to hear.

Did you ever wonder what it would be like to wear implants or hearing aids (like Penelope and me)?
 
Well, let me tell you...it's kind of cool cause I do get to pick my favorite color. (And you know what that is...cotton-candy pink...yaaaaay!) But they can be a pain too...like when they hang from my ears when I'm upside down on the monkey bars. I'm also not crazy about taking them out at night.  (You know I don't like to miss a sound.)
 
Did you ever wonder what it's like to be "hard of hearing"?  (That's what grown-ups call it) Well, when I'm not wearing my "hearing devices" (another grown-up word) I can't hear a thing. (For real...not a thing!)
 
Try this...put on the TV, but turn off the sound.  Can you figure out what in the world they are talking about?  Well...that's how it is for me without my devices. (There's that big word again.)
 
Before I got my implants, some noises and voices sounded pretty weird to me. Other times I would hear every other word or I might hear you, but I couldn’t figure out where you were. Were you next to me or were you behind me?  Sometimes people would sound like their mouth was full of marbles (that’s gross). And when I first got my implants, everyone sounded like a robot. (That was fun for a little while, but then it got super annoying.)
 
I hear so much better now with my cochlear implants (see its really not that hard to say). Would you believe I can even hear rain?  (Penelope can hear rain with her hearing aids, but not me...I need my implants for that.)
 
And now I hear Lucy snoring. (She does that sometimes...does your dog ever snore?)
 
The good news is that everybody is different...how cool is that?  (What fun would it be anyway if we were all the same?)
 
Well, thanks for reading my very first blog EVER...I hope they invite me again...this was fun.
 
It was nice to meet you and thank you for letting me talk about me.
 
 

No comments: