Saturday, May 19, 2018

Do You Switch?


Do you switch your fruits in the supermarket?  I'm not talking loose fruits like tomatoes or avacados - I'm talking fruits that are packaged - in clamshells - like strawberries.  

While Jonah and I were just in the local supermarket, I watched a lady who had strawberries laid out on top of all of the other clamshells and was picking the best ones for her clamshell.  Wouldn't you want to go to a farm to pick your own if this is your mission?  It's like taking a bouquet of flowers from the floral section apart and only taking the daises or the roses and leaving all the other "leftovers" or "bad" ones for someone else. 

In NJ, we are just coming in to strawberry season.  However, it's been wet lately.  I'm talking Seattle wet.  It's been raining here since Tuesday and *might* clear up tomorrow (for the day) leaving us humid and hot but not to worry, it's going to rain again on Monday and Tuesday.  While this does wreak havoc on the berries and the farms and *maybe* this woman couldn't get to the farm for fresh picking because of the rain, mud and berries coming in late ... but I guess I'm just surprised.  I didn't know that mix and matching out of a clamshell is allowed.


No comments: