Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Day of Remembrance and Reflection

Last night, our son, who is in 7th grade, had two social studies homework assignments.  One was to talk to us, his parents, about what we were doing and thinking when the 9/11 terrorist attacks took place.  The other was to watch President Obama talk about what action the US will or will not take against Syria, who is using chemical weapons against it's own people.

Do you remember where you were on 9/11/2001?  What you were doing, what you were thinking?  I was home on maternity leave.  Our son was six weeks old.  I was watching Good Morning America when they interrupted their programming to give word that "something" had happened to one of the world trade centers.  They weren't quite clear on exactly what had happened but we watched it unfold together.  Me and my friends on GMA. 

I called my husband.  I called my mom.  I called anyone who would listen at that point to see if they saw what happened.  I hugged my infant son even tighter than usual.  We found out that one of our friends - my sister in law's sister - who is an airline attendant was on a flight, out of Newark, bound for California.  How scary!  It was hours before she was able to contact her family to let them know she was okay.  She, however, was stuck in CA for a bit until the air travel restriction was lifted. 

I remember being tuned in to the television at all times for the next few days - they were still finding survivors in the rubbles.  I remember the pleading families who had loved ones who couldn't be found.  I remember the waves of emergency personnel from all over the country flooding into New York City.  I remember what a sad time it was for our nation. 

Although we are 12 years from when this tragedy occurred, our hearts are still hurting from the day.   We still have memorials being designed and installed to honor the men and women who not only lost their lives as a direct impact of the 9/11 attacks but to honor service men and women and police as well.  My husband's company, Beechwood Landscape, was an integral part of a local 9/11 memorial.  Beechwood Landscape Fallen Hereos Memorial in Shamong, NJ  No matter how many years have passed, it was a wonderful ribbon cutting ceremony for this memorial - no one in this small community forgets.   

9/11/2001 - a day that will live in our hearts forever.  I will never forget. 

No comments: