Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Forest Fire!


Pine Barrens Fire!
We thought they might have to evacuate my grandmother from her home yesterday becasue the fires were way close where she lives. The Nanny Extraordinnaire was out of her mind all day with worry because the main roads into where she is were shut down. Period. No getting to her. But, with the storms that rolled through last night (cancelling LAX practice) thing seem to be calming down a bit this morning and from what the newscasters are indicating, fire officials hope to have this "under control" within the next few hours. The roads have reopened - so that is a step in the right direction.
When I was younger, I was told that the Pines are a special place and some of the pine trees have a certain kind of pine cone that does not open until it is heated by a fire - hence the preservation of the forest. Kinda neat, isn't it? Our Mom and Dad used to take us canoeing through the pines, something I hope to do with the Palentologist and Twinkletoes sometime soon, when we were younger as well. Its amazing the plant and animal life that you see while canoeing down a serene river. I would love to introduce the kids to that so that they have a better understanding about the importance of preserving the beauty that New Jersey has.
Off the soap box -- my coffee arrived yesterday and I had a cup this morning. Delicious. I can't tell you what kind it is though because I was still kind of asleep while making and drinking it. It definitely did the trick though!
Make it a great day!

No comments: