Thursday, February 7, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

I guess we'll all be learning a bit more about Gestational Diabetes in the next ten or so weeks. The reason? I flunked my second glucose tolerance test last week. The big one - the three hour one. What I don't understand at this point is: I failed my one hour test by three or four points. With this new test, the doctor's office advised that I passed the fasting portion of it, I even passed the one hour portion of it but I failed both the two and three hour portions of it. How can that be? How can I fail a one hour test one week and pass it the next? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, I am sitting here, waiting for the endocronologist to call me back to tell me they were able to rearrange a schedule somewhere so that I can get into their office asap. When I first called, they told me the first available appointment is April 30. That is one week after the baby is due to arrive. A little too late. So - my test results were faxed to his office yesterday afternoon so that he could see that I really did flunk the test and am in need of his services asap. I think that I will have to see a dietican too. Ugh.

From what I have been reading (trying not to do too much research - too much information will probably make me a bit more neurotic) I will have to follow a strict diet and exercise program until the baby arrives and then some. I think that this can only benefit us both - while in utero and after she arrives. Maybe it will help me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight sooner.

Only time will tell. Any advice is gladly welcomed!!!

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Trent's Mom said...

Just had to write! LInda Humes at NBC had gestational diabetes I believe. I am sure she'd be more than willing to shoot you a few pointers.

Also, when I saw you the other day in your office, I had no idea you were so far along. You look spectacular!

Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!