Monday, May 16, 2011

Thirty Eight=38= (3(2*5)+(4*2))

No matter how you write it, today I have been 38 for officially two days.  In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that number.  It's awfully close to 40.  And pretty darn far away from that dreaded 30 that people complain about.  Heck, I could be halfway through my life at this very second if I plan on living until I'm 76 (I know that my card could be pulled from the deck at any given second, I'm just sayin'...) Other than the crazy blemishes (you may call them zits if you must) that have started showing up on my face in the past 45 days, there's really nothing different at 38 than there was at, let's see ... 35 ... or even 30 for that matter.  Throw in a couple of kids, couple of dogs, a zillion sports practices, birthday parties and falling out of touch with friends because they're all in the same boat ... OK 38 is more like 35 than 30, so I'll just be quiet now.

Bistro Romano
Saturday, on my birthday, the kids and hubs took me to the famous Bistro Romano for my birthday dinner.  We had a 4:30 reservation (you can make online via their website or you can use Opentable.com directly as well as calling - reservations for this place= a great idea!!)  Hubs and I have gone there a few times and this is the 2nd time we have taken the kids.  With that early of a reservation, we didn't scare too many of their other patrons away (I don't think!) Bistro Romano is in a converted row home on Lombard Street in the Society Hill section of Philly.  Takes us a good 45 minutes to get there from where we live but boy is it worth it!  We started with an appetizer of their calamari - even Twink tried it (and loved it! You should have seen her eyes when I told her she was eating squid!!) which was fabulous.  The girls were drinking fancy Shirley Temples and having a fine time (behaving, did I mention everyone was very well behaved??)  Our server was a hoot!  I wish I could remember her name so that I could commend her great service and attention to detail ... and to our kids ... which doesn't happen a lot. 


The kids ordered off of a small kids menu (seriously, how many things do you need on a kids menu?)  They ordered three different things:  mozzarella stix w/ fries, chicken fingers w/fries and ravioli with red sauce on the side.  Everyone loved their meal, 'cept for SweeTart - she filled up on Shirley Temples and bread before the meals were brought to the table!!  Ummm, for the life of me I cannot remember what Hubs had for dinner.  I was too busy with mine (and making sure SweeTart didn't tip her chair or her drink)...I had Tilapia Gorgonzola - over a bed of sauteed spinach, with a side of sauteed squash and zucchini and Parmesan roasted potatoes.  Heavenly.  Twink did try my fish and decided she did not like it.  She's not a fishy type person.  Me, I love light tasting flaky white fish.  Not so much a fan of salmon and tuna but I'll try it.  Once.  This dish that I had and should have photographed?  Delish.  Plain and simple.  Delish.  If you go there, you have to make sure that you put in the notes section of your reservation that I sent you.  KWorrell.  I'm sure they'll remember me.  I spoke with the owner, Mike, more than once on Saturday night.  And, seriously, how do you miss the family of 5 among the adult birthday parties and private dinners for two??  Did you know that their building is almost 200 years old?  The main dining room is in their basement?  The backsplash of the bar came off of an old sailing vessel?  It was a stop on the Underground Railroad?  The place is oozing with history, romance and great food! 

Afterward, Hubs and kids had cake and ice cream (and gifts!!) for me at home.  A beautiful pink cake with a "?" candle instead of those dreaded 3-8 number candles.  Whipped cream, ice cream and marble cake.  Quite yummy.  I am surprised I did not go into sugar shock at our kitchen table (and neither did SweeTart after two bowls of whipped cream.)  I had loads of facebook messages wishing me a happy birthday and appreciate all of them.  I had a wonderful weekend filled with great fun and my family.  (Hey Hubs!! Thanks so much for everything!!! xoxo)

Here's to another 38 happy, healthy, fun filled years! 


6 comments:

Christine said...

Awwweee, happy Birthday! What a great evening with the family! As I always dread the numbers climbing each year I try to remind myself that I am only as old as I feel (some days that actually backfires though-LOL)!

Heard about your blog on voiceBoks! HOpe to see you there. And if you get a few extra minutes (ya-right your thinkging-LOL) check out my blog!

Christine
www.mysweetpotato3.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like you had a great Birhtday dinner with your family. I'm always worried we are going to scare pepople too when my husband and our three darlings go out en masse! I also found you on Voiceboks.com and now I'm a new happy follower of yours! 38 was very good to me, I ended up with the best surprise of all my third baby, who is now 6! Enjoy!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday!! :) Sounds like it was great!! :)

S.Greiner said...

Happy Birthday! I'm stopping by from voiceBoks! I hope you have a great week!

Feel free to drop by www.alwaysjustamom.blogspot.com!

Heather said...

So sorry that I missed your actual b-day! Glad it was terrific! LOVE that cake! I so want one like that on my b-day!!! And as for age, just be thankful we aren't in our twenties anymore--minus the skin and bod of a twenty-something, I would take the wisdom of a thirty-something every time!!!

Heather said...

Love your equational age!! I think we should all make our age a math problem--peeps will be so busy trying to figure it out that the actual age won't matter a fig--make sure to use tons of parentheses and throw in some division.