Monday, March 15, 2010

An interesting thought ...

hhm
Click on the widget above if you are interested in a postcard exchange.  Sandra has noticed how the technology of today has put the "art" of letter writing on the back burner. 

I used to have pen-pals when I was young.  I actually still exchange Christmas cards with one girl ... she is fabulous.  I can't tell you how much fun it was to get a real letter in the mailbox - one that had interesting thoughts and stories in it.  I loved hearing how my "friends" in Thiland, Norway and Finland spent their time.  There used to be a place that would match kids up by their ages, interests and countries.  I haven't come across that anywhere since.  I think that with all the craziness with the internet and child predators, those types of places have seen their demise.  I am not sure that I would let my kids communicate with a stranger ... how do you know who they really are? 

Funny - the one pen-pal I do still keep in touch with, I went half way across the country to meet after my graduation from high school.  How crazy is that?  It was an experience I wouldn't change for anything.  I got to experience Colorado - Colorado Springs, Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, the Air Force Academy ... I am thankful for that trip and for the friendship I forged.  Not sure that I would let one of my kids - 18 or not - go across the country to meet a stranger!! LOL 

Twinkletoes and I were shopping on Saturday before the deluge of the storm hit us 100% and she talked to me about her "sister school" in Africa.  Her school's principal took a trip to Kenya this past fall and kept the students of IMS very involved with her activities with the school she visited and worked with.  I think the kids may know more about Kenya than I do.  (I take that back.  I am sure they know more about Kenya than I do.)   Part of the project of their principal was to have the kids correspond with one another on different grade levels.  No letters are exchanged with last names or addresses. All letters must go through their teachers and the school so I guess it is safe and fun for all of them.  I think it is a good thing for the kids on both ends of the letters to have fun writing to each other, learning about ways of life in different parts of the world.   

Do you still write "real" letters or is everything now electronic? 

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Isn't it sad how no one writes actual letters anymore? I remember having Pen Pals too, it was so much fun.

I'm glad you're joining in, I can't wait to send you a card, speaking of which, I couldn't find an email to contact you, can you email me at bourlandcs [at] msn [dot] com with your address so I can mail you the card?

Hope you're having a great day :)